14.2.07

Time for some good karma

I was raised as a Mormon, a faith that i don't think ever really took hold for me. I spent a year at BYU which kind of sealed the deal, but I don't really feel the need to go into my issues with the LDS church at the moment.

I have often been very derogatory toward religion, but sometimes feel as though it's something I should look into further. I took this Intro to Religions class from Penn State partially as a humanities credit, but largely to increase my knowledge of other religions outside the Christian faith. I went through with the typical critical eye of science, which I have a hard time removing myself from. I do appreciate the desire for religion to teach people to be better people, I just don't think that it always does a good job. I didn't really find anything in my studies that tickled my fancy, it just seemed to be far too fractious to even comprehend. You can barely get two Christians of different sects to agree on the truth, let alone two people from entirely separate faiths. This has only pushed me further away from what I see as traditional religions.

Nonetheless, I do appreciate the need for religion that people have. I read somewhere that "religion is a crutch for the weak," and it's always something I've held on to. Unfortunately, we're not always as strong as we think we are, and this is one of those times that I could use a crutch. I've given serious thought about it and I think we're going to try attending a Unitarian Universalist church when we get back home (and maybe once or twice while we're here if we can manage the schedule). It's a non-religion in some ways, preaching no specific faith, only striving for the betterment of its members and society at large. I'm willing to give it a go, because I think it'll give our family some good experiences together and help us grow as people, both together and as individuals.

2 comments:

sweetviolet said...

It is interesting that we find ourselves, independently, on the same page.

Maddie said...

I'm curious to hear what you guys think- let us know!

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com * background by Tayler